DEVELOPERS WANTED: THERE’S A SHORTAGE OF IT GRADUATES
In Germany, agencies and companies are desperately looking for developers, as they can barely fill their vacancies. But how can developers and companies find each other? What kind of skillset is really needed? This time we asked QAware GmbH in Munich, who are specialized in Software Engineering, to answer these questions.
INTERVIEW WITH HR DIRECTOR SABINE JENTSCHKE
We asked Sabine Jentschke, Director Human Rescources at Syntax Europe, about the current job market for IT specialists, which platforms recruiters use today to find applicants and what requirements are demanded of applicants.
IT CAREER: FIVE JOB INTERVIEW QUESTIONS YOU WOULDN’T EXPECT
Job interviews aren’t an everyday situation for job candidates. But to me, as a recruitment consultant, they are of course a daily routine. Therefore, I would like to share my experience and tips with you. In the following article, I will tell you about five questions that surprised job candidates in interviews.
CAREER ADVICE: WILL THE BOSS SOON BECOME OBSOLETE?
The working world is undergoing a significant process of change. Trends such as digitization and virtual workstations as well as new work processes will bring about further changes. For a long time now, software development has been shifting away from traditional hierarchical structures to agile project organization. But is the classic “Boss”, a person who distributes the work in the team and to whom you regularly report to with the results of your work, becoming a thing of the past?
IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER: HOW NOT TO TURN RESTRUCTURING INTO A PANIC ATTACK
Once in a while companies are being restructured, processes made more efficient, organizations redefined, and departments merged or, in a worst-case scenario, made completely redundant. Whenever management announces changes, the disastrous sword of Damocles looms over each department along with question “Who will get hit and how?”
FAILING SUCCESSFULLY: MAKING MISTAKES TAKES PRACTICE
In some countries, failure is considered part of the road to success, particularly in terms of entrepreneurship – but in Germany it’s a taboo subject. You avoid mentioning it. According to common consensus, someone who failed just didn’t think things through, was either unobservant or incompetent. This is precisely the mindset that suppresses innovation as it leaves no space for trial and error.
HOW CHANGING YOUR JOB CAN CREATE AN EMOTIONAL HIGH
According to a study conducted by the German Institute for Employment Research IAB (Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung), every year around 3.4 percent of employees in Germany change their job. The slim majority of 52 percent do this voluntarily, but the other half (48 percent) are forced to change their position due to (prospectively) losing their jobs.